Monday, December 13, 2010

Her thoughts darted in and out like little fish

I usually paint my portrait pictures with a combination of guouche, water colour pencils/crayons and or using artists pencils. However, I enrolled in Portraits with Pam Carriker, which shows you how to paint and shade using acrylics. I find water colour so much more forgiving, but doing classes is all about stepping out of your comfort zone.

I decided to work on a spread in my Mole that I had previously added colour to (using up paint on my brush). At this stage I thought that I might like to draw a fairy, and experimented with swirly, curly wings.
Initial sketch

I try to incorportate as many experimental elements into each page. I decided to use an unusual colour pallette (well for me anyway). I wanted to use a bright green with the pink, and also incorporate orange.The first step was to overlay the page with green.
Green paint overlay
I have watched a video tutorial on adding alcohol to acrylic paints for a lovely effect and wanted to give it a try. Unfortunately I could not get it to work, so instead, gently rubbed over the green to reveal the pink beneath. I thought that perhaps the technique was not working because I was spraying my alcohol (100% Isopropyl alcohol) whereas it was "dripped" in the tutorial. Well I got a little carried away with my dripping....Lucky alcohol evaporates very quickly.

What happens when you pour instead of dripping.
I added a little more pink on the left hand side for balance
Colour Balancing.
Now I am ready to get down to the nitty gritty of the tutorial. I coloured her hair, and covered her neck and face with titan buff. I also added some burned umber to the edges of the pages. Note: RHS is not that dark. The page has curled from the moisture, and so threw a shadow when I photographed it.


Foundation colour added to face and hair

Using burned umber mixed with titan buff, I started to add the shading. I also coloured her shirt.At this stage, I also decided that I no longer wanted to do a fairy (incase you were wondering).

Adding shading
I continued adding more shading and added a print to her shirt. I also added her irises so that she no longer looks like zombie girl.


Final details added.
And finaly, I added my journaling. In the end, after much cursing, I actually liked the process and am going to practise painting with acrylics.


3 comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!
Kaela is in bed but I cannot wait to show it to her....just lovely!

Goog said...

She's fantastic and I love getting to see the whole process. I really like the journaling, too.

Kristin said...

WHAT a stunning finish! I loved seeing the process and love your result, Bravo! xoxo